Thursday, June 28, 2012

F6F-5N Hellcat VMF(N)-541

Hello everyone.
Since I'm in some WWII mode right now and I can't shake it off, best I can do is to display this Hellcat night-fighter.

Pin-up girls were not something common in US Marine corps and that is one of the main reasons why I chose this late version instead of most popular 3 tone camo Hellcat.
This Marine Corps unit was equipped with Hellcat night-fighters and fougt against Japanese air forces over Palau Islands and the Philippines. From this airbase, the unit flew patrol missions over the US Navy‘s forward base at Ulithi Atoll.
They got this unusual name "bat-eye", although it's known that bats don't use eyes for night flying.

picture source: http://www.warbirdinformationexchange.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=238664
Eduard profipack edition with resin wheels, radar and exhausts plus some nice PE for the interior. Definitely a best-buy when it comes to Hellcat in 1/48. Painted with Gunze and Tamiya paints. Chipping made by using paint as a primer under the scuffed sea blue...
















Since I started to display older prop aircraft, the "modern military aviation" as the blog description is kinda off. Hope you like it anyway and thanks for watching.

4 comments:

R.S said...

Vasko, nice job !! it looks realistic especially the 4th photo.

But to be honest the best part of this aircraft is the lady illustration :P (kidding)

Will you do something like P-51 or BF-109 soon?

Keep posting such amazing jobs !!

R.S

Vasko said...

Thanks a lot R.S, I feel the same way about the girl on the nose. Looks so nice on it. I knew straight away which markings I'll do... Just gotta give her a chance.
Anyway, I'm glad you like it (her) :)

Dan said...

I'm big fan of the looks of the Hellcat. But I have been aware from books that this plane with this nose art did exist. It is beautiful and refreshing to see this in built model form. Great work. makes me wanna' build this one. Just think to build up and decal all of these in that famous photo.

Vasko said...

Thanks a lot Dan, I appreciate it.